Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, October 16, 2011

A POSTCARD FROM TORONTO ONTARIO CANADA

Toronto, the capital of Ontario, is a great city with tourists coming from all over the world and Canada to visit. For me, it is my birthplace. My mother was born here and although she has lived out west for the last few years of her life still calls it home in her heart. My children were born here too.
Initially called Muddy York due to the Ontario mud, Toronto means meeting place. Transportation is good. A ride on a streetcar is a must. Do you like the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) archival pictures. Neat, eh?

Some of my postcards from the early 1970's. Family had a few trips to Woodbine Race Track. Mom liked to go a few times a year. Her Dad took her to the old racetrack in the city that is long gone. Do you like the skyline of Toronto- no CN Tower! Moore's sculpture at City Hall was so controversial. Is it art? I always loved it. Trendy Markham Street and Yonge Street. It was a cheap date for Adolph and me to go downtown and walk around Yonge Street!

Modern Toronto with cultural diversity, Bay Street, a great police force- Toronto Cops are Tops- slogan.
Today there is the Occupy Toronto demonstration going on. The city and its people accept protests and peaceful demonstrations. Just hope this one stays calm! Different areas still have a sub-group- Danforth- the Greek community; St. Clair- the Italian community, although a lot have moved to Woodbridge; Bathurst Street- the Jewish community;  many areas have people from the Caribbean and other parts of the world; and of course there are many multi-generational Canadians still living there in the city or near Toronto like I do. The shopping is good with trendy areas and of course The Eaton Centre! When there was the old Eaton's and Simpsons, Mom used to love to go downtown-taking the bus and subway from Richmond Hill to shop and get the bargains. Her favourite haunt was Eaton's Annex where all the returns, end of lines and real bargains existed. We all have fond memories of shopping with Mom. She always could find a bargain. Most of our clothes were bargains-even if the colours did not match our wardrobe!

Pearson Airport with its 3 terminals is an International Airport of modern standards. Look closely at the postcard above and you will see the old Malton terminal. Hard to imagine the small little airport that once existed. I recall departures and arrivals as a child from it.
Vibrant, ever changing! Toronto- love it or hate it! Home to millions and another a million or two in the Golden Horseshoe.The Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Argonauts, Toronto Raptors and Toronto Lynx also call it home. Don't forget the Entertainment District! Come visit and judge for yourself! I have room! There's lots of room, it is a big city.
Do you like Toronto? Do you hate Toronto? What are your favourite memories of the city?
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, TO! A good place to be born (I came from that nest, too) but I prefer life on the prairies where we have such things as a provincial bird called the mosquito.

    ReplyDelete