Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, October 15, 2011

CANADIAN CULTURAL DIVERSITY

People from the same culture can be recognized by many traits- language, dress, food, manners. There are so many different cultural groups and sub-groups within those groups. What is culture- ethnicity, religion, rural vs urban, gender, disability, age, sexual preference, citizenship, in Canada- your provincial identity to name a few! The boundaries can be blurred at times. We all can belong to various sub-groups.

Regardless, everyone has their own individuality that needs to be seen. Can we say do not judge me by my identified group? How do you identify yourself? I am Canadian- not a hyphenated Canadian. However, others want to be a hyphenated Canadian! Can we be both- of course! Depending on the situation, we can define ourselves the way we want! We are part of a group and an individual simultaneously!

1 comment:

  1. Nice photos, Barb. Good illustrations for your post today. I think oaks are my favourite trees these days. “Every oak tree started out as a couple of nuts who decided to stand their ground.”

    ReplyDelete