Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, October 2, 2011

A POSTCARD FROM BANFF ALBERTA

Banff is one of the most beautiful places in Canada. Any one travelling west wants to visit this location in the "majestic rockie mountains" as they are called in every site and on every postcard.
Banff is part of the Rocky Mountain Parks World Heritage site.  A little history includes it was settled in 1880 after the Canadian Pacific Railroad found its way there. 2 workers discovered hot springs in the area in 1883. George Stephen, President of the Canadian Pacific Railroad gave Banff its name in 1884. He used his birthplace Banffshire, Scotland. The first Banff Springs Hotel was built in 1887 to 1888. In 1911 a newer hotel was built on the site.

Located 78 miles west of Calgary and 36 miles east of Lake Louise, it is a popular location for hiking and skiing. However, any tourist comes home with amazing and beautiful pictures that have been included in generations of family photo albums. The Banff Hotel, although very historic, is rarely the overnight stay for the average Canadian. It is a luxury hotel that has seen many rich and famous.
Our family on a trip west in 1957, visited this community. During a trip west with my children in 1989, we had a visit to Banff. Just incredibly beautiful! Yes, the people are friendly!
I did receive a postcard from Banff from my sister in 1996. " July 7/96- Dear Barb & Adolph, Tash &Sonya. Hello or should I say yahoo? This is a fun town but I think my face is getting laugh-locked. Rob & I have been spending a lot of time together as he has two weeks off. Went with him, Chris & Cheryl to Banff on Sat. It as very busy place but great. Love to ya-all. See you soon. Mare XO"
I have many postcards from this area including ones from 1957. If you look closely at the pictures you will see one small postcard package for 69cents!! How quaint, eh?
If you want a postcard included here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

2 comments:

  1. Well, if I ever go to this place called Bnaff, I'll send you a postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banff- a little typo and now corrected. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete