Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, May 18, 2012

HEARING AND LISTENING-ONE ASPECT OF MINDFULNESS

While walking today, I decided to hear all the sounds and noises in my environment. The song birds singing. The traffic noises with cars speeding and a truck making a loud sound. The red eye plane from the west heading to Pearson Airport made a welcoming noise in the early morning sky. The honking of a Canada Goose that made me divert my walk from the stairs to walking through the parking lot at the Richmond Hill Library. The geese are known to chase people so I was really not in the mood to be chased. My feet making noises as I pounded the pavement. The wind rustling through the trees. Being attentive to the surroundings let ideas and thoughts prevail. The main reason I do not plug into a walkman or I pad or whatever else as they  drown out the world. Listening to the world! One aspect of mindfulness that allows the senses to expand. As we try to find excitement in our life, it can be the small moments that bring some meaning. Hearing and listening to the world, to others, to ourselves- takes concentration and discipline! How mindful are you in your environment? Do you hear and really listen? Or do you try to block out others and the sounds around you?

1 comment:

  1. “A wise old owl sat on an oak; The more he saw the less he spoke; The less he spoke the more he heard; Why aren't we like that wise old bird?”

    ReplyDelete