Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, January 10, 2012

JANUARY BIRTHDAYS

For our family, January has an abundance of birthdays. My daughter's two brothers-in-law, Adolph, my son-in-law, my niece, mine and even the Duchess of Cambridge-Kate! Birthdays always mark a number in our lives. Some are more significant than others. When you can be left alone without a babysitter, drive, stay out past midnight, drink, go on a vacation without your parents, get married, have a baby or retire. Some people want to stay 29 forever, but as their children age up it to 39! Numbers like being 10- no longer a single digit, 21, 25 or my- turning 30! 30 is huge because it officially means you are still young but can not make excuses for not growing up anymore. 40 was a hard one for me, yet 50 meant very little! So sometimes as we go higher, there is a joy of still being here. 65- many people retire. 75- we gave a big party for my mother-in-law on that birthday. My Dad reached 90 and is still going strong! One sister-in-law celebrated her mother's 100th a year ago. There is always some kind of celebration- small dinner, big party or at least a little cake! For children it is always a moment to be the centre of attention! What is it about blowing out the candles and making a wish? No matter how old, we always secretively make a wish! Doesn't hurt, does it? So what will my wish be this year? Well I can't tell you or it won't come true! Happy Birthday! It must be someone's birthday today somewhere! So enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You can add Margaret and Matthew to your list of January birthdays: both born on January 25th! And my guardian angel, Karen, was born on January 24th.

    ReplyDelete