Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, January 11, 2012

NANA SAYS DO WE CHILDPROOF A HOUSE OR NOT?

While perusing one of the major Canadian papers, I read a little advice feature by an architect and interior designer. The question was was from a couple who had to share their living room with their two year old. They wanted some decorative suggestions on how to organize the toys. A designer then gave a rant about not believing in childproofing a house. Children need to learn the word no, adapt to the rules, discussed table etiquette and suggested they go to a manners class. She did suggest some beautiful boxes to slid under furniture but letting the child know when toys are not in view it is not a playroom! It seemed strange to me that she sort of answered the question about organizing the toys but then became an expert on appropriate child behaviour and parenting. Anyone with young children or young grandchildren, might roll their eyes like I did and said oh yeah! Well I am a great believer in childproofing a home and and establishing appropriate rules for the age of the child! I have a gate on my entrance to the downstairs so my little toddler grandson wil not take a flyer. I could stand with him teaching him the rules about not trying to go himself but childproofing is safer! My cute little elephant collection that was on a low shelf has been put away since my granddaughter arrived on the scene- breakable and well the parts could be a choker! Children when going through that oral stage of development put everything in their mouths so out of reach out of mouth! If fortunate to have lots of space, there can be an area in the house where children can play freely. For my girls and my home there is a big area in the basement. However, the children in my life have a spot in the Family Room- little table and little chairs and we do sit and read in the Living Room. If a creative project, my granddaughter can colour at the Dining Room table. If it is breakable children have a way of breaking it. To me childproofing is more about safety and creating an environment where loving acceptance occurs. I have been to homes where the child's bedroom is a Magazine showcase and the child is only allowed to sleep there. One toy at a time! Don't mess! Is it emotionally healthy? No, not to me. After children play, they can learn to tidy up. Put your boots/shoes by the door. Put your clothes in the hamper. These house rules come with time. Little children as they grow can take on more responsibility! Oh yeah until they hit their teens! And boy does everything change! What do you think - to childproof or not? What do you do?  But do you find it interesting someone in design is also an "expert" on parenting! The little advice piece did not say how many two year olds were in her life!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, Barb. If it's fragile and treasured, put it away or out of reach. If it's unsafe, prevent access. Otherwise, share your home, attention, and time while you have wee visitors.

    ReplyDelete