Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, January 8, 2012

A POSTCARD FROM YELLOWKNIFE NORTH WEST TERRITORIES

My brother Rob and his wife Donalda have moved to various locations in Canada for jobs and adventure.
Several years ago, just before they moved to Yellowknife in the North West Territories in Canada, he sent me this postcard to give us his new address. 

Dated August 26, 2003- " Hi Ya'll! Just got back from a vacation in Yellowknife, NWT, I had to take this picture of an Inuit woman standing up to pee. Must be a new thing!?!?There are so many lakes, boats, airplanes and Huge fish I might never come south again...Except for maybe a trip to Maui. Winters are long and cold but there is a lot ot do. I guess they don't want people to become bored and depressed.Our computer is down for the count as it caught that nasty worm and won't turn on. I've had to resort to actually using the written word. We went to look for a place to live and a job for me ( Rosie already had a job to go to) We found both in about the first hour after we arrived. I think there are a lot of jobs in Yellowknife as everyone has left to work in the Diamond Mines. Things are quite busy. Busy in that small city. But most stuff is done at a snails pace. There are " gang takeovers". But they are so lazy it takes them about a week. We'll be up there for October 1st. Just in time for the 8th snowfall. The arts and crafts up here are just unbelievable. It can be very expensive but once you get to know some of these folks you can get things a lot cheaper.
New address.
Love to all!! Your little brother, Rob!! Small Printing...eh?"

During their time there, I was fortunate to receive some of the crafts. Beautiful colourful mugs, a clock and cards. Most people would probably prefer to visit in the summer to enjoy the atmosphere of one Canada's beautiful northern locations. Their stay was an unforgettable experience.

If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. Yellowknife's a wonderful place. I've been there twice. Once, on contract work and once to go working and to end the the trip lake trout fishing at a fly-in resort. I think I caught about 40 fish in 3 days. What an adventure that was!

    ReplyDelete