Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, January 6, 2012

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

You either love this saying or you hate it. I find when I am trying to tell a long story or inform someone about a situation, blah, blah, blah is a wonderful shortcut. For example, if I am talking to one of my daughters who have heard me talk alot and know the themes I talk about, well you get it it cuts to the chase! So I guess I love it because I use it often in my personal conversations. It can be said quickly or slowly which changes the meaning slightly. It is all in the tone. I was trying to determine when it came on the Canadian horizon. How long has it been in our culture? Does anyone know where it originated? Has anyone been credited? If we went on a famous quotations site would we know? So- love it or hate it, it's here to stay!

1 comment:

  1. blah
    "idle, meaningless talk," 1918, probably echoic; the adj. meaning "bland, dull" is from 1919, perhaps infl. by Fr. blasé "bored, indifferent." The blahs "depression" is first attested 1969.
    Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

    ReplyDelete