Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, January 5, 2012

DEDICATION

Is a good word. The dictionary tells us to dedicate- to devote to a special task or purpose. So dedication is the act or an instance of dedicating. A book or award can be dedicated to a person or cause too. We often say that someone is very dedicated- to their job, family, team, country. If it is for a good cause dedication is seen as virtuous. However, history has taught us some acts of dedication have been bad. Really bad! So we will focus on good dedication. I have been thinking about the activities where I dedicate my time. Do they have purpose? Are they meaningful? Are they necessary? Dedication takes time and discipline. It is an easy word so the talk is also easy. It is the walk- the ability to keep going that weeds out the truly dedicated from the rest. In our modern society it is often credited to those who lose weight, exercise regularly and try to look pretty! What about the rest of the activities that make a fine life? Writing a book, painting a picture, sculpting, taking photos, honing parenting skills, baking for your church or family gatherings, volunteering for a community cause, keeping a well run home for family and self and the list could go on. Some acts of dedication are done quietly by the people involved. There is no hoopla, just daily attention to the details of life. So if you think about dedication- to what do you dedicate your life? What brings meaning? If you wrote a speech or a book or won an award- would you dedicate it to someone?  Has anyone ever dedicated something to you? Today I was dedicated to write a blog before going to work an hour and a half earlier than normal. What are you dedicated to do today?

1 comment:

  1. I just came across this posting of yours. I don't know how I missed it earlier. Dedications of mine? Hmmm. I can't think of anything special beyond enjoying my hobbies and helping my close family members and the odd friend, when and where I can. I like the anonymous quote: “Dedication is not what others expect of you, it is what you can give to others.”

    ReplyDelete