Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, January 27, 2012

SNOW-IS CANADIAN SNOW DIFFERENT?

I don't think so. Snow is snow! Apparently there is less snow everywhere across our great nation this year. For those of us who need to shovel driveways or drive long distances, it is not a bad thing. There are so many ways to describe snow- wet, slushy, white, dirty, and heavy. Some snow is good packing snow to make a snowman. There is a light snow, heavy snow and a blizzard- batten down the hatches! The Inuit in Northern Canada are supposed to have many words for snow but actually they have the same number as English. It is the Sami People in Europe who have over a hundred words to describe the white stuff. Winter pictures with snow are beautiful. My younger daughter was married in the winter so has some outdoor shots with the snow in the background. Walking in the snow burns more calories. All those sports that need snow- skiing-downhill and cross country, snowboarding, sledding, toboganning! Well burn those calories! Playing with children in the snow- love those snow angels! Catching snowflakes and eating them! Snowball fights! Snow forts!


One of my favourite snow activities is to sit in a warm room at a lodge or even my family room in the suburbs, watching a light snow come down, explaining how beautiful while I read or knit, then sip a hot beverage such as coffee or hot chocolate periocially, all cozy! Do you have a favourite snow activity? Or do you just tolerate it until Spring?

1 comment:

  1. I like snow. It covers the weeds in my flower beds and the grass in my lawn, erasing all guilt about not having everything manicured.

    But, I also hate snow because it limits what I can do outside, sometimes making for treacherous walking and driving.

    I'm your typical confused Canadian.

    ReplyDelete