Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, January 24, 2012

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

Is a wonderful English saying. Means different things to different people. It does not mean showing up late to every party, dinner or social function, however! Recently, while at a dinner party one of our friends started to take piano lessons after inheriting his mother's piano. He gave us a little rendition and hopes to play better with two hands.Looking forward to the next time! It made me think about many people who stop trying to do something new because of age, children, health or whatever excuse comes along. Actually we are told if we learn new tasks, language, or skill it is good for our aging brains! I still struggle with trying to speak Italian by doing verb exercises at an elementary school level. Any patient that speaks Italian, I try to communicate with them. Even a few words in other languages- like Spanish, French, Farsi, Russian, Chinese- help to stimulate my brain.  My husband has a second cousin who take up marathon running in her 30's and just competed in a big race in Ottawa- now in her 40's! My cousin Roy, in his retirement has embraced photography which is evident by the beautiful and varied pictures he takes. Some are so amazing- National Geographic watch out! Some people go back to school and earn a degree or diploma. After retirement many people start a home business. For example, I have some corner wooden shelves bought at a craft sale made by a retired gentleman who took up carpentry and loved it! So is there something you want to do? No matter the age, just get started! I can not draw well but  a few years ago, I bought a book on drawing for beginnings. I practice occasionally. I will not be a great artist but I have been learning the techniques, the discipline of drawing. It helps with my crafts! If I can do it, then so can you! What are you waiting for? Better late than never!

1 comment:

  1. Geoffery Chaucer appears to have been the first person to have put the proverb into print, in The Yeoman's Prologue and Tale, Canterbury Tales, circa 1386: "For bet than never is late" [Better than never is late].

    I suppose the opposite would be "the early bird catches the worm". That's good if you like to eat worms.

    But, you're right. To do something that is right, profitable, or good a little late is still better than not doing it at all.

    ReplyDelete