Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, June 22, 2011

NANA SAYS SIBLING RIVALRY IS NORMAL

It is what we do about it that can make the difference. For example, when children in the same family have a birthday, it becomes very apparent. While celebrating one child's birthday, the feelings of the other child may be bruised. Letting any children present blow out an additional lit candle on the cake, helps to ease the tension after the birthday boy/girl has had the traditional singing and candles lit. Older children may want to play with the younger child's toys. My answer- only if the child gives permission and to remember your toys may need to be shared too. Each person deserves to have an individual celebration. For some reason when children attend a friend's birthday celebration the same situation does not result. The need to have some attention is always paramount at home. For parents, it can be stressful. Trying to keep the peace and giving the birthday celebration justice! I notice when the grandchildren play in my backyard. They will all want the same stick- there are dozens of sticks to chose! Is it human nature to want what someone else has? Adults have the " keep up with the Jones" syndrome sometimes. There are adults that do not seem to want or envy others for what they have. By helping siblings to get along and share, are we helping to create healthier adults? I know loving parents who treated all their children fairly but there has been one child who just did not grow into that healthy adult. Still jealous of the other child/children in the family. Sibling rivalry is a huge topic. I think I need to think about it more and perhaps share more thoughts at another time. Are you a sibling? How do you feel about your brother or sister?

2 comments:

  1. Great article, how do you feel this will be affected in the future? I’m glad I stumbled across this website!
    siblings rivalry

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's it feel to get spammed, Barb. It only happens rarely to me. I just delete such comments.

    Funny, as one of 5 boys, I never really experienced much sibling rivalry. I credit my mom for treating us all fairly. Besides, I knew she loved me the most ... :)

    ReplyDelete