Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, June 7, 2011

PERFECTIONISM

Is an aspect of an anxiety disorder. Too often people brag- I'm a perfectionist! Everything has to be perfect. Well life is not perfect so get over it. Perfectionistic bosses, spouses, friends fret over the smallest, silliest details. It is good to plan, be safety minded and to double check. However, get going. For example, when I write, I throw the thoughts, the words on paper. Easier to amend, draft, correct an idea then to fret about writing the perfect paragraph. Perfectionism can be an excuse to keep a project unfinished! Let go to grow! Yes there can be little flaws in many things we do. Children can not achieve with parents who expect perfect outcomes. A five year old makes a lumpy bed but leave it lumpy. Over time the child will learn. Each task can have layers. It takes me 4 hours to vacuum my house top to bottom. Do I want to spend that time every time I pull out my vacuum cleaner-NO! So can I do a quick vacuum, a thorough room vacuum, one floor vacuum and then once in a blue moon the whole house at one go or find the resources to hire a cleaning lady! My house can not be perfect, not now, not ever. Real people live here! Am I a tidy person- yes! But not obsessed with perfect tidiness! Perfectionism is self limiting! Are you a perfectionist? Are you around perfectionistic people? There is help to work on this disorder. Perfectionism can be turned into normal organizational habits.

1 comment:

  1. Of course, I'm a perfectionist! How else would you explain the fact that I never get anything done?

    I would get help for this disorder except that I'm also a procrastinist.

    ReplyDelete