Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, June 19, 2011

A POSTCARD FROM HAWAII

Aloha from the beautiful state. Many







people we know have been to Hawaii. My first trip at age 18 with parents and brother- Rob then Adolph and I honeymooned there in 1971. My folks had been there several times and loved it. During our honeymoon, we met Marge- from Portland, Oregon and Dorothy from Victoria, British Columbia, two friends who vacationed in Waikiki every year without their husbands. They took our only couple picture on the trip. We continued to correspond with them over the years and they would send a card each year from Hawaii. Along with annual Christmas cards and postcards from us wherever we vacationed, the bond continued. Dorothy was older and died a few years ago. Up until last Christmas we still heard from Marge. She made my daughter Natasha a beautiful blanket with scraps of Hawaiian material that I still use for the grandchildren! One of the cards from 1988 read- "My 11th day here. Weather is perfect. So many things to do. All usual people are here. Enjoyed your card from Fla. Vacations are my type of living. After this is Dullsville. So many pedestrians at 6:30 AM. Aloha- Marge H." Postmarked April 18, 1988. I have the card we sent to Mama on our honeymoon- "Hi Mama, Joe, Nonna- Adolph and I are enjoying the sun and the beach. We rented a car and have driven around the island. It is so beautiful. Adolph really loves it. We will see you when we get home. Love Adolph &Barb" Postmarked May 22, 1971
Postcards are like a mini time capsule. I have lots of blank cards that I bought to have in my collection. One card from my Mom and Dad- tells of their enjoyment in Maui in 1981. " You wouldn't recognize Wakiki- Barb- it's all built up. No room to breath. We love it here in Maui. Might buy a "Condo".

Have you been to Hawaii? What is your favourite island? Can you smell the flowers? Don't you just love the orchids?

If you want to send a postcard to have featured here, just email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send my address to you.










1 comment:

  1. You have my address. I have not received any postcards. Enough said ...

    ReplyDelete