Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, June 26, 2011

A POSTCARD FROM ALGONQUIN PARK ONTARIO



























A camping trip to Algonquin Park was a major part of my childhood- late 1950's to the last trip in 1973 with Adolph. We camped at Rock Lake which was several miles from main highway- 60. We would stay for 4 to 6 weeks, usually leaving a few days before school ended. Some summers we took friends for part of the time.The mosquitoes and especially the black flies would be ferocious in June but became manageable in July. Mom would stay with us kids while Dad went back and forth to work. When he would arrive with fresh fruit and goodies, it was like a care package. Canoeing, sleeping in a tent with a sleeping bag- on the ground, using the campfire along with the Coleman stove everyone had, hiking, Campfire singsongs- a couple of summers with my brother Ron and his friend playing their guitars- and swimming every day whether the water was warm or cold. Rock Lake was a campground that had been a canoe route for our Native Canadians- the Algonquian. My finds of flint along the shoreline were always exciting. One day I found a whole arrowhead that must have been used for birds. My mother made my siblings donate their finds to the Nature Museum in the Park but I kept mine and still have them to this day- a real childhood treasure! Wildlife abounded. The favourite for all the campers were the deer that grazed along the highway. It was always exciting to see a baby fawn. Hikes in the woods could result with encounters with not only deer but racoons, squirrels, chipmunks, fox, and even a black bear. No one would keep food in their tent as the Black Bear was notorious for coming to the campground at night. A simple canvas wall would not keep one from ripping open a tent for food. The same problem with racoons! There were wolves in the park but they were smart and avoided people! A special outing would be the annual visit to the Logging Museum! One summer I had gone home early. My brother Reed sent me a postcard-" Hi Blondey, Have the lawn weeded for when I get back, or you'll get a shot in the left eye, both of them. Wheather's lousy, water cold, no dear to see and the kids are running Marg and Howie up the wall (tree). See you soon. Reed. "The year was 1962 and postmarked from Whitney, Ontario- the little town to the east of Algonquin Park. My postcards in my collection show a history. The earlier ones with the cars from the 50's! Have you been to Algonquin Park? Is there a favourite Park in Canada you know well? Do you camp or like the convenience of staying in a Lodge? Camping has changed but the feel and smell of the great outdoors has not!







If you want to have your postcard featured here. Email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address.

1 comment:

  1. ... and, here, I thought I was a collector. You put me to shame, Barb.Often, I'd get postcards, in the old days, and stick them on the fridge door for a few weeks and then toss them. If only ...

    ReplyDelete