Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, December 11, 2010

THE LAST MERRY CHRISTMAS SIGN

I bought this sign at a craft sale at a local retirement home several years ago. Liked it as it would be good to have by the front door in my garden by the window. The lady who sold it to me said it was the last sign she had. Her husband had died that year. He had made signs as well as other woodworking items as a post retirement hobby and some additional income. She was selling the reminder of his items. I told her it would have a good home and would be cherished. I took the sign home and realized it actually was quite special. When I pull it out each year now to put by the front door, it is a reminder for all of us there will be the last one of whatever it is ! Each Christmas I am vigilant of the fact it could be the last one for many people I love. So I always try to make it the best Christmas and not just another one. I like to think there may be something special to do. Last Christmas it was the Olympic theme. I knit red hats for the family to wear when the Olympics started and had included several items to use in our celebrations. 1997 was a special Christmas too as I knew it would be the last one for my mother-in-law Concetta as her cancer had advanced. I took a special Christmas video with her doing, talking and being so the memory would be there for us to this day. She died July 1998. There are many reasons for all of us to enjoy to the fullest. This year there is a new member in our family and my son-in-law's family has two new members. We lose some along the way but life is beautiful and we gain some new people. Are there special memories of the "lasts" in your life? Are you the person that just makes it special as if it is the last Christmas you would be together with someone you love? If we do not make the holidays special then what is it all about? Are there some firsts in your life? You have added some new ones!Tell me your special Christmas stories.

1 comment:

  1. A great story to go with a neat Christmas welcoming sign. And a reminder to remember the history of the things we collect over the years so we can share their background with the ones we love.

    ReplyDelete