Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, December 2, 2010

THE CHRISTMAS CARD













This time of year brings the task of sending Christmas cards. Some people love doing them, others just want to send an email or a Merry Christmas on Facebook. The tradition is a positive one as it is a way of staying connected with different people that have come into our lives. On our honeymoon in 1971 we met two ladies on the beach- Dorothy and Marge. I still send a card to Marge in Oregon. Dorothy passed away a few years ago but was always on my list. Old work mates, High School friends, family from across Canada and even neighbours are sent a card. My cards to cousins in Italy are sent first, then ones to the United States and coast to coast in Canada. Some years the notorious newsletter is written to update everyone on the year's activities. I actually like to receive them from others as there is more information than the one liner contained in most cards. Hanging them the old fashioned way helps with the home decorating. The photo card types are always welcomed as it is fun to see the changing families. They are included in my album pages from each Christmas. Bundles of Christmas cards from past years are kept in a safe place. By looking at them periodically, little treasures can be found- a homemade child's card to a Mommy! Those bundle of cards can be a composite of one's life. Many with a family member's handwriting can be included in genealogy projects. Do you still send Christmas cards? Do you like to receive them? Or have you joined the easy way of using social media?

1 comment:

  1. Although I still love to receive Christmas cards (actually anything hand-written), I have, over the past 10 years about, turned to Christmas letters as a way of sending Yuletide greetings. I let people know what we've been doing over the past year with this one or two page digital letter. It used to be a joint effort with JoAnne. We'd sometimes include a few photos. Now, I'm not sure if I'll continue with that letter. Maybe, I'll just send one final one, with my well wishes and a link to my blog. Haven't decided yet.

    ReplyDelete