Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, December 9, 2010

WHAT IS CHRISTMAS SPIRIT?

I heard this term today on the TV when the newscaster was describing people having Christmas spirit while they donated toys to the Toy Mountain toy drive in the Greater Toronto Area. As soon as I heard it the Christmas Spirit feeling overcame me. Of course we know what the Christmas spirit is from a feeling level. Intellectually it is hard to describe. Something overcomes us this time of year- we do feel like giving to others for different reasons. The songs, the feeling of small joys, the look on children's faces- well the Christmas spirit. To share, to gather, to eat, to enjoy the childhood magic of the season. Inviting some lonely person to your Christmas table. Having people we love for another year. Missing those who are no longer here. Hearing the Christmas story again of the Christ child and feeling the magic! What does the phrase mean to you? Are you finding it hard to describe in words as I am? Do you just feel it in your soul? Your heart? Do you have Christmas spirit? I know I do.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure it has overcome me yet ... thought so earlier tonight but remembered that I'd just turned up the thermostat ... might have been that :)

    But I do know what you mean ... I notice it most when I see the gleam in a child's eye as they open a present they really like ... kind of like 'joy'.

    ReplyDelete