Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, December 25, 2010

THE RED DELICIOUS APPLE


My Mom would always put a large orange and a large red delicious apple in our stockings along with some cream candies, one big toy and small items when I was a little girl. She grew up through the Depression so fresh fruit was considered special at Christmas. We always had clementines,macintosh apples, homemade baked goods, lots of chocolates and a big turkey dinner with all the trimmings. A plum pudding with my Mom's rum sauce- yes real rum- was one of many desserts. Now we have so many varieties of vegetables and fruit all year round that it seems dated to talk about a big apple. For me, it is a reminder of something simple from a childhood Christmas. It is a reminder of my Mom and how special she would make Christmas. So I ate my apple today while preparing the Christmas dinner. I like so many other mothers make the magic for our families and make Christmas special! Are you remembering some childhood moments? Christmas brings out the nostalgia in all of us!

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me so much of the stories my mom told me and the treats that we got in our Christmas stockings as kids.

    ReplyDelete