Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, July 1, 2019

BARB'S GENEOLOGY TIDBITS- CANADA DAY 2019 AND FAMILY HISTORY SUGGESTIONS

For Family Historians, all significant holidays can be helpful. Getting together today to celebrate Canada Day can bring conversations about family. Photos. Food. Fun.
Also remembering those that came before us brings more to the celebration.

For those in Newfoundland Beaumont-Hamel, a battle in World War One that decimated communities in that province. So a happy day for some and a sad day to remember for others.

This Canada Day brings closure to a long standing project of mine. As has been seen by my entries under Genealogy Tidbits, I have been writing about Ball Point including some family lines.
Well the project is finished. Really an unpublished finished book form. A really great draft. In time I will review the essays, clean up the resources and if some finances kick in may even try to publish as a book. Meanwhile it is done.

Taking advice from all those webinars I watch to put information in several places. Your children will not want your stuff. They will just throw it all in a disposal bin to go to the dump.

So yeah to Facebook groups. OGS branches. And well posting here on my blog.

My research on a great great great grandmother line is coming along- Butterfield from Quebec. Maiden name Jaspar.

I am methodically going through those family binders. Still a slow process to digital. Hard to part with decades of research. If I were famous all those notes would be put in a library.

The many books and cemetery records that are irrelevant to my family are slowly making their way to libraries. I am lucky that my local library has a Canadiana Room and welcomes resources. Again my children will just throw them all in the garbage. So yeah a new home.

I have been hesitant about putting a family tree in the Internet world but it is coming. Uploading data is like being a data entry clerk. Research is fun. Typing notes and dates is well boring but necessary.

Writing up those stories for my grandchildren is going well too!!
Starting with us. Then my parents. Then my grandparents. Takes them back several generations. The writing is much easier as it is mostly off the top of my head. Of course collecting the necessary resources for citation is so much easier. So several stories on the go simultaneously keeps it interesting. I am finding another idea or picture or event to add to them.

So uploading significant pictures and putting them in stories is another way to preserve them.

So Happy Canada Day. Celebrate and do genealogy!
#canadaday#dogenealogy#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro#researchisfun#putyourinformationinmanysitesyourchildrendonotwantit#preservingforthefuture#familyhistoryresearch#writingupthestoriesforthegrandchildren

No comments:

Post a Comment