Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, July 25, 2019

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS- WHAT LEGACY TO LEAVE OUR FAMILIES

The Family Historian always has too much information. Too many papers. Lots of records. More than one family chart and tree.
What do our children and other family members really want?
Some will say nothing. Not interested. Will throw it all away?
Lately I have watched some interesting webinars. Read articles. Getting ideas.
Well most people like some photos. Some family information attached to photos.
I have been writing up story lines. Some have made it to this blog.
Writing up the story about me. And Adolph. My parents. His parents. My grandparents. Nice stories with lots of pictures and of course any cited sources like the marriage, birth, diplomas and other interesting memorabilia. Most stories are 20 pages but it is because there are lots of interesting items.
I still am trying to decide on which family tree design to use. The tree. The circle. Start from the top. Start from the bottom. What pretty paper to use?
One piece of advice is to put the written material in several places. Don't just keep it in an album in your home.
So facebook and on several facebook groups. This blog. Send the articles to family members.
A series of essays can be the beginning of the family history book. At least it is for me. Those that read my Ball Point articles know my final objective if able is to do it in book form.
Always cross referencing the material.
So information on me will have information on Adolph. So of course the same relevant family photos can be used in many resources.
The articles can have themes. For example, my article on baby and child deaths in the family. Uses many family members.
One theme like Ernie Ellis and his World War One history.
So the legacy can take many forms. Remember a good family photo album is good. But if there are many events make sure they are put in various sources.
What are you doing for your legacy for your family?
#legacyforourfamily#genealogycanbesavedinvariousforms#sharingthefamilyhistorystories#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro

No comments:

Post a Comment