Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, July 8, 2012

A POSTCARD FROM GREECE

My folks received lots of postcards over the years from friends and relatives. One of the couples they knew well travelled often. Here is their postcard from Greece.

"April 25. Dear Maisie and Elly, The time passes so quickly since we go ashore almost every day. We have enjoyed our visits to Athens, Crete, Rhodes, Patmos and Istanbul. There has been a great deal of walking and we both have tender feet. But it is worth the effort. The ship is small and no "love boat" but the food is satisfactory. The weather good all the time, lots of sun and smooth sea. Love Kathryn and Jack"
It is impossible to read the year but probably the 1980's or 1990's as Kathryn died before Jack . They were the same age as my folks so stopped travelling much when their health changed.
Jack was an engineer and had worked not only in Canada in the Mines but in Africa. He was very bright. Kathryn had been a teacher. Mom always seemed a little envious that she had her own teacher's pension. Interesting as many women in that age group relied on their spouse and like my Mom were encouraged not to work. So Kathryn was her own woman with a pension to be able to travel.
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. Bah, humbug (says the old grump). “A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it”, George Moore.

    ReplyDelete