Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, July 9, 2012

A DAY AT A CANADIAN FLEA MARKET-COURTICE FLEA MARKET

When I was younger and decorating my house, flea markets were a potential place to find little odds and ends for a home. Then for some reason, probably because I had a house full of stuff, I stopped going to them. They had changed too. A lot of markets sell cheap dollar store like items. The Courtice Flea Market in Courtice Ontario- east of Toronto, close to Oshawa- is really an old fashioned market. Tables with lots of things, old tools and furniture a little dented make for a fun time to look and see if there is anything to add to a collection or two.

For example, if you collect any old Coca-Cola items, there are plenty of interesting finds. I've decided to be good and limit any purchases to very small items- like a salt and pepper shaker set. Some old Disney videos for the grandchildren were a good buy. I have one of those units that allows for videos and DVDs so the quality of the tape is not the issue. If the children watch them a few times then I have my money's worth and perhaps can resell at a future garage sale or two.
The people who have a regular booth earn a living. Like the two ladies that own this little area. The lady in purple is an avid knitter so was selling some of her crafts too.
Courtice also has significant family history connection. On my mother's side, our Witheridge roots come from the area. At the cemetery at the Ebenezer United Church, down the road from the Flea Market, the older section has many of our ancestors buried there.
The little day trips touch my soul in many ways. Do you go to Flea Markets? What are your favourite day trip locations? Do you revisit places on a regular basis?

1 comment: