Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, July 4, 2012

NANA SAYS SIBLINGS ARE DIFFERENT AND NEED TO BE RESPECTED

I have often heard parents say- my children will not have any sibling rivalry! Well read the Bible and the story of Cain and Abel. It is always difficult for children to share their parents and grandparents' love and attention. Quite frankly I find the fighting, whining and other nonsense with sibling rivalry to be very boring and it sure is a way to get your buttons pushed! Yes children need to cooperate and learn to share the world. Regardless of how many positive or negative messages there are to deal with the matter, one of the best solutions is to separate the children to age appropriate activities. Some of my best time with my own children and my grandchildren is being able to have them one child at a time. Then it is quality time and not trying to diffuse situations. Meaningful little conversations occur, can read a story or play at something fun- like blowing bubbles and letting the little one catch them. Sure there are many times all the children must be together. Even now individual time with my adult children is good. I think my girls like it- to talk to Mom without anyone else. Sibling rivalry will always be with us but I still am trying to find creative ways to enjoy moments with people in my life. Do you have special techniques? What do you use? Remember like Cain and Abel, not everyone in your life may get over their sibling hate and may end their childhood not friends as adults!

1 comment:

  1. Silly phrases come to mind: divide and conquer, viva le difference, etc.

    Teaching kids to be thoughtful and respectful of their siblings is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete