Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, July 6, 2012

THE CANADIAN BARN


Country drives along rural roads or major highways in Ontario reveal the farms that bring us our food. Of course, similar drives in any province would bring us to many farms and the people who work and live in the farming industry. For some reason I have always loved the architecture of barns. They are featured in movies, stories and some of us may have visited a farm or two in our lives and have the experience of being in a barn. In my childhood, my siblings and I used to spend some time on a family farm in Coldwater, Ontario.

Of course, modern barns are fully automated with electricity and other necessary equipment to be operational, productive and fiscally solvent for the farmer or company that owns them.

Perhaps on my country jaunts I will try to find some other barns to photograph. What do you see when you look at the picture above? Does it tell a story with the barn, country farm house and the Canadian flag in the background? Do you wonder who lives there? Why did they chose this life? Would it be a life you would want? Do you have your own story about a barn?

1 comment:

  1. Barns can be fascinating. One of my Flickr contacts is always posting new photos of old barns from Iowa. It's a good way of preserving history because many of them are no longer maintained and will soon disappear through neglect. I've been in dozens of barns ... horse, dairy, chicken, pig, etc. All are interesing.

    ReplyDelete