Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, July 15, 2012

A POSTCARD FROM THE 1000 ISLANDS

A recent jaunt took us to Kingston, Ontario and the 1000 Island cruise. Three hours from home, we arrived mid-morning so Adolph and I could could take the cruise since we could not check into our hotel until 3 p.m.

Our boat was the Island Belle which had two decks. We sat on the top deck so there was a panoramic view and of course, better for taking pictures! There was an audio tour guide with an impersonation of Sir John A. Macdonald our very first Canadian Prime Minister narrating. Why? Kingston was his home! I listened to most of it but sometimes tuned out just to enjoy the view. There is something about being on the water in a boat of any kind. There was a point on the cruise where Lake Ontario ended and the St. Lawrence Seaway began. Some of the land- several islands are deemed protected by the Canadian Government! I wonder who counted the islands! Are there really a 1000? From the boat we saw Fort Henry, Royal Military College, the Kingston Pen and part of Queen's University. If you take the longer cruise, you can visit the Boldt Castle on Heart Island!
There are lunch and dinner cruises- maybe next time! We saw other sites in Kingston and I even wrote a postcard or two to family members!
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard!

2 comments:

  1. There are actually 1,864 islands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On July 15, 2012 Edna Mallet commented- " That boat cruise seems like a fun thing to do. I wonder how far away it is from Ottawa or Pettawa?"

    ReplyDelete