Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, April 24, 2012

THE BEST BOOK ON GRIEF

I wrote in a previous post about C.S. Lewis who wrote A Grief Observed. It is one of the best books on grieving that I have read and used in my practice. Recently I bought a bunch to give to significant people in my life who unfortunately are in the midst of grief. His beautiful little book begins- " No one ever told me that grief felt so much like fear. I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid." His book is his personal experience of grieving and missing his wife. It is usually quoted in all the modern texts on grief and loss. Reading a book will not resolve all your issues of grief. However, in the middle of the night when you really do not want to talk about how you feel, reading and processing another's thoughts who had the painful journey can bring solace! Knowing we are lonely but not alone in our bereavement journey as others before us have travelled the road let's us know it is okay to feel the pain in the depths of our souls! Lewis was known for The Narnia Chronicles but he was also a theologian with a deep faith. Grief makes us question many parts of our life and our place in the cosmos. He questioned and questioned. Does it let us also question? You bet. There are usually no definitive answers but the questioning and seeking answers can become the journey. Have you read this beautiful little book? It is available I am sure at your local library. I hope the people in my life will find it useful.

1 comment:

  1. Moving on is often hard to do. Grieving is hard to deal with when a loved one passes on or simply leaves your life.

    ReplyDelete