Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, March 23, 2011

LOOSE LIPS

Sink ships is an amazing statement. When trusted with confidential information, the important consideration is to tell no one. When someone has shared with me, I always finish the conversation by stating " you know I will keep this confidential." If it is a counselling session, it is a given. Conversations with friends, colleagues that reveal very private matters should be kept private. It is up to the person to whom they share their lives. Remember knowledge can be power for some people. Be careful who you let through your front door! Isn't it interesting no matter where you work, how the rumours start and what the rumours might be? I love it when the rumours are so off base, it brings tears of laughter to my face. I often ask the question- why do you need to know? In my profession, so much personal information is discovered about people that others' problems or pain are not spectator sports!!! Does it make me feel better if someone's life sucks? Not really! I have learnt from a young age to keep my friends close but my enemies closer. It has always been on my bucket list to be a trusted friend and luckily I too have some friends that are trustworthy!

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of eating in Carman restaurants. You always had to be careful when talking with someone at your table about something private. Nearby diners had big ears. That, coupled with the fact that it was a small town and most people were related to or knew who you might be talking about, you had to be very careful about what you said. Better to keep such conversations for another time and place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true! Small towns or small communities within large cities do have that problem.

    ReplyDelete