Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, March 12, 2011

MAPLE SYRUP-CANADIAN EH!





Maple Syrup is very Canadian. I have been very fortunate to live near several Maple Sugar Bushes in the York Region area.
In 2007 I visited Thompson's which is
a major producer on St. Joseph's Island near
Sault Ste Marie Ontario.
It is so interesting to know how the syrup is
made.



March is the time of year when the sap runs in the Maple trees prolific for maple syrup. The two main sources are the sugar and black maple trees. We have 2,600 producers in Ontario alone. Quebec has the most production and locales in the USA are renown as well. The farmers use a plastic tub collection 80% of the time while the traditional bucket tapping can still be seen in some locations. The Native Canadians introduced the white man to maple syrup. School children will have spring trips to Maple bushes to learn about the process and to taste the raw product. As for me, love it on pancakes, in my oatmeal and have used maple syrup as a sugar substitute in baking. Do you have favourite dishes that include maply syrup?

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, I must limit my maple syrup intake. I substitute ED Smith's no-sugar added on my pancakes and french toast.

    ReplyDelete