Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, March 25, 2011

THE TOOLS FOR WRITING

Include more than spell check. A dictionary, a thesaurus, and "The Elements of Grammar" by Margaret Shertzer are on my computer bookshelf. Reviewing, rereading and editing any written word are regular habits. Yes, in modern times the abbreviations for texting have unfortunately become the norm. Read entries on Facebook or other medias and the grammatical errors stand out" like a sore thumb". There and their have two very different meanings. Your and you're are often misused. I regularly resist the urge to correct the grammar I have encountered. Should we be correcting the grammar? Or do we let the modern generation flounder? There are jobs that require the ability to write. If we are not sitting at a computer with spell check and grammar check, it is necessary to know the difference. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Poor spelling and grammar are becoming more and more common these days. I used to review scientific manuscripts for the editors of various entomological journals and became increasingly appalled with the poor writing that I had to wade through. The quality of the research aside, I recommended the rejection of a number of manuscripts because of the submitter's poor grammar.

    Unfortunately, this deficiency is common in both scientific and lay publications. It is, perhaps, at its worst in such social media as Facebook. The most obvious errors make me shudder. I want to pull out ‘my red pencil’ sometimes and correct the worst errors but I know that’s pointless. I wonder why the writers do not take more care in what they impose on us. On a more positive note, I have seen some writers improve as they mature.

    ReplyDelete