Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, June 28, 2022

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS-THE DI MAMBROS CAME TO CANADA JUNE 29 1959

 

63 years ago Adolph's family decided to leave Italy to live in Canada. They left aboard the ship Queen Frederica..

They ate well/ 


Original photo in black and white. My Heritage has a colorization process that I had the photo done in colour.



Adolph is the boy in the middle looking at the camera. His Dad Joe, Nonna Adelina and Mom Concetta are on the other side of the table. Charlie his brother is smiling at the camera while Tony is eating.

Enjoying a good dinner. 

Adolph said they did not come over in steerage like others in previous centuries. He loved his time on board the ship.



Adolph- far left on bench, friend and brother Charlie on the ship.







Details of their family. Good for genealogical purposes isn't?


Group shot on ship. Charlie boy far left. I do not know the other people in the picture. Not sure if they came from the same area or were picked up in Genoa.

June 29, 1959 they arrived in Canada through Pier 21 in Halifax.

When I first started writing family history, I asked Adolph for his story about his arrival in Canada.
I posted it on Pier 21 website. I think about 1985.

The link for Pier 21.

The site is so valuable for anyone who came through Halifax to settle in Canada.

Adolph's or Adolfo story came be found at this link

pier21.ca/culture-trunks/italy/stories/adolfo-di-mambro  or click the following link.

Adolfo's story 

There are story trunks so anyone with Italian roots and had a family member who actually wrote a story on the site can search it under Italian trunks. Take the opportunity to write your own family story for Pier 21.

The beautiful picture of the Queen Frederica was a gift to me in 2000 for writing the story. Now I believe they charge a fee like $25.00 for your ship's name and the date your family arrived.

One of my grandson's used the story on his Grandpa for a school project and he was excited there was an online link.

I had many personal conversations over the 30 years ( 1968-1998)  I knew my mother-in-law Concetta about the family's time in Italy and the Cassino, Frosinone, Lazio region. But for another time as this post is just honouring the story of coming to Canada.

#dimambrofamilycometocanadajune29,1959#dimambrofamilytocanada1959#queenfrederica#leavingitalyforcanada#adolfowriteshisstoryonpier21#pier21wherepeoplearrivedincanadafromitaly#funaboardtheship#dimambrofamilyonthequeenfrederica#rememberingcomingtocanada#adolph'sstory#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro

No comments:

Post a Comment