Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, January 31, 2019

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS-USING PERSONAL CORRESPONDENCE

There is a project for 2019. To write about ancestor every week. 52 for the year. My goal is less. I am trying to write about one each month. As stated in earlier posts, I want to write about all my great-grandparents for my grandchildren.
This month I have been busy with my paternal grandmother- Leona Violet Alton( nee Parkin).Writing a genealogical article is simple with the basic facts- birth, marriage, death etc.
I had the sense of writing about her that I wanted to know who she was as a person. Not much can be found in the documents that are used to cite our sources.
Then I remembered my mother's unpublished story of her life. Would there be some tidbits on Leona?
Yes there were a few. Then perusing my Parkin binder I found some telephone notes from 2001. I had phoned my dad asking for some details about the potential BandB on the family property- Ball Point. Again I found some little gems about Leona.
These comments will help me to make her story more interesting. Luckily I have a variety of pictures that speak for themselves.
By reviewing the correspondence, I was lucky to find out information to use on other ancestors.
After doing family history research for over 34 years, I am at the place that just facts are not enough anymore. Who were these wonderful ancestors of mine?
So before family members decide to throw out anything that is not nailed down, consider the potential information for family historians and well your family history.
#generalogy#usingfamilycorrespondencetotellastory#keepingsomedocumentsforwritingthestory#barb'sgenealogytidbits#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#writingupthestoriesforthegrandchildrentoread#leonavioletparkin/alton#leonaalton

No comments:

Post a Comment