Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, January 17, 2019

POST RETIREMENT THOUGHTS

Okay 7 months into this retirement thing. How do I feel? It's a transition is the party line. But there are days I like it- like Mondays and days I do not. I am getting through personal projects, helping my children and grandchildren when needed, reading, writing, researching. Of course I can keep the house cleaner as those chores can be accomplished in one go. But retirement is not about becoming an obsessive housekeeper freak. I do housework, I am not a housewife. I am a retired Social Worker.
Nevertheless like other times in life the boredom factor. With my energy level and zeal for learning new things, I like to push the learning new areas. Magazines on old age have some interesting retirement information- maybe I'll try to write an article or two. So reading- online, fiction and non-fiction, staying abreast of new ideas. News in the morning and tuning in to some talk shows. Not just the ones promoting the new movies. What's trending. What is new from old ideas.Yes going to the movies with family helps too.
Caring for my husband does keep me close to home. Luckily my children live nearby and I have lots of home activities. So I try to push myself. Have started an exercise routine. I do need to get back to my outdoor power walk. I miss it. It is just hard to walk quickly in boots. I will not wear running shoes in winter. Remember as a Social Worker, two of my floors at the hospital included surgery and orthopedics. Bones break!!
So I do miss Social Work aspects of life. I have not lost my counselling skills and abilities. I registered for one more year with the College at some expense- no discount for retired people in the event that I may continue to practice in some capacity.
What is very noticeable is the lack of social interactions? Remember all the people that said they would keep in touch! Well a few have. I went to a potluck at Christmas to see people. I have sent a couple of emails. I did have coffee with one colleague which was nice. But people do drop you. You start to become invisible. You really see who really cared about you by the way you are received.
Even though my door is always open to anyone who wants to visit. People do not come.
Yes I do invite people.
I go to any event that has an invitation to remain part of life.
I did join another group and continue to go to a monthly club. I am considering trying to do some committee work for the area.
I am retired. Not useless so 7 months into this thing, I am finding my way. I will do a post on gender inequality for retired women at another time. That's a whole issue in itself.
The good thing it is retirement and not a layoff. So that tedious endeavor of having to find another job is not there. I have an income.
#retirement#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#notahousewifejustretired#personalprojectskeepmebusy#thoughtsonretirement#notalayoff#stillaSocialWorkeratheart#findingmywaywiththisthingcalledretirement#barbaradimambro

No comments:

Post a Comment