Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, January 16, 2019

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS- OLD OR NEW METHODS??

Doing genealogy for over 34 years means I have lots of information. I tried using a computer database at one time and could not figure it out. I have the binder system with lots of ancestors and organized the descendants in each binder. So I have bookmarked a site WikiTree with one line of mine. The Parkin/Keeler line from Derbyshire England. I love the way one can go between the generations with a click. I did attend a seminar on Family Tree Maker and am still pondering to buy the database or not.
I still have to upload my Family Tree online somewhere. Probably will put it on Find My Past as I have a subscription to it. Why? Gives the United Kingdom and Europe information.
With Family Search still free, enough ways to search. We also have the Canadian and provincial archives for searching Canadian information. I have done my DNA and some contacts have written me. Yes the paper trail shows we are related. Now DNA proves it.
So some modern methods.
Now why do I still like the Pedigree and Family Group Charts. Well it is a visual. The lines are right there on one page. No I did not need to see every sibling and lines of every ancestor cousin. I really want to see my direct lines. For the modern family sure it is good to know how we are all related. But to try to follow those cousins from gggggrandparents is rather cumbersome and can be tedious. Especially if the first names are the same.
Those new to genealogy often want to hunt down everyone. I have lots of everyone. One ggrandmother's brother had 10 children and the duatang folder of his descendants is rather large. A contact sent it all to me years ago.
I have enjoyed the pursuit over the years. But as said in earlier Barb's Genealogy Tidbits I want to write shortened versions for my grandchildren. What would they really want to know?? I know they have been interested in the war stories. They like to know about Adolph's Italian roots. It is easy to identify their Canadian roots because those places are easy to reach. Like Toronto. I was born there. My mother was born there. My children were born there.  3 generations!
So I still like my visuals. The charts. The photos. The documents that are not just filed on the computer. But can be accessed. I have uploaded many to the Evernote site for safe keeping. Perhaps one day the grandchildren will appreciate the computer files more than Nana's visuals.
Today I have enjoyed filling in several spots on my pedigree chart however from the computer clicking. Sure there are some brickwalls. No matter how far back one goes the wall will be there. Searching those female lines is always the challenge.
So old or new methods. For this genealogist, well I use both. Why not?
#genealogy#barb'sgenealogytidbits#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#parkin/keelerlines#pedigreecharts#familygroupcharts#borninToronto#canyouhavetoomuchgenealogicalinformation#huntingdownthosefeamalelinesistough

No comments:

Post a Comment