Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, October 21, 2012

OPTIMISM IS PLANTING BULBS FOR SPRING FLOWERS

This is the perfect time of year to plant those bulbs for Spring flowers. Last Spring I noticed some spots in my gardens where flowers used to be . So recently tulip and crocus bulbs were  purchased. Let me regress. In 1997, Adolph had a large excavating job and needed to get rid of about 50 boulders. So our yard was ripped up and the boulders placed by two hardworking guys with one of the company's machines. Paths and gardens were created.  That Fall, I planted 400 bulbs of various kinds in the front and back. The next Fall another 400 and the Fall after that -300. So year after year the Spring flowers would bloom. My tulips were starting to look a little sparse in the Spring of 2012.  So dividing the 40 tulip bulbs, some were planted in one of the front gardens and one of the back gardens. The 25 crocus bulbs were put in a variety of spots. I began thinking as I toiled. How optimistic to plant in the Fall with the expectation flowers will bloom each Spring. There is a hopefulness of renewel! Harsh winters can play havoc on bulbs and rose bushes! But gardeners plant and prune and clean up with the anticipation the effort will bring results! So with a great stab at the garden today filling bags of  yard waste and bundling branches for roadside pickup, this gardener is proud with the results. I look forward to what the Spring will bring! Of course a few more sessions of raking as all the leaves have not descended yet! How is your garden looking? Is it ready for the winter with a few branch piles for the little creatures that abound? Are the garden gnomes put to sleep for the winter? Even though gardening is so enjoyable, are you glad for the winter break ahead? Bulbs are not the only thing that need to wait until the Spring!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't got into planting bulbs yet. Maybe, I should this year. I still have time.

    ReplyDelete