Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, July 21, 2011

THE CONE FLOWER








is a beautiful and hardy summer flower. There are several clusters in my garden as with other perennials they tend to spread and grow. It is from the Compositae which really means the daisy family. I like the backwards petals. It is even known to have a herbal use. Apparently the roots can be used as an immune booster. I just think it is pretty and adds colour to the garden. The purple ones attract butterflies. I have been lucky to capture a picture or two of my monarch butterfly occasionally. With our current hot spell, it is good to know it is drought resistant.


Although they are found in many gardens, it is a wild flower indigenous to North America.

Do you have cone flowers in your area?
They make a wonderful welcome addition to a daisy garden. The colour amongst the white. What do you think? Do you like my sea of cone flowers?













1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos, Barb! I have some of these, too. I must photograph them soon!

    ReplyDelete