Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, July 6, 2011

NANA SAYS CHILDREN LOVE ART

A trip to the McMichael Collection July 4, 2011.

The entrance to the Collection is quite attractive. The setting itself is reflective of Northern Ontario. The trees have grown over the years to create a forest like effect.










As some family members were skeptical that my little granddaughter Sophia would not like her visit to the McMichael collection in Kleinburg, I was not. She loves to draw, colour and craft using a variety of resources-Nana has a good supply! Crafting in a variety of mediums have been a part of my life. As you know the permanent collection consists of the Group of Seven, First Nations and Inuit art and artifacts as well as some temporary collections. For our visit on Monday, Marc-Aurete Fortin art collection was on display. It is described as an experience of colour. Little Sophia when asked in each gallery room what she liked the most, she picked pictures with lots of colour. Her little drawings always have lots of colour too! We were fortunate too to be able to visit the new Sculpture Garden and Enhanced Grounds that had opened on July 1, 2011.

The sculptures were created by Ivan Eyre. Visitors follow the path and see them as an outdoor gallery. Sophia loved them, insisting I take pictures of each one. " Nana, you need to get this one." It was a reminder of another time when I took my girls to the Art Gallery of Ontario and my oldest daughter was enthralled with the Henri Moore Sculpture room there. Children do have a shortened attention span so the visit followed the pace of my granddaughter and not mine. There was an art camp for children going on that Sophia observed. I mentioned to her that her mother had gone to an art camp one summer when she was little. Perhaps when she is older, it may be an option if she has an interest.

We had bought some art postcards in the gift shop. Sophia was able to pick one for herself- she picked a Tom Thomson-entitled Wildflowers, 1917. An interesting choice as not only did it have lots of colour but the flowers are so similar to the ones she loves to pick.

I enjoyed the day. Not only was I with one of my favourite people but able to observe her experience of something I love. The McMichael is one of my favourite places to visit. Exposing children to art at a young age just expands their knowledge and ability to like a variety of interests. Do you take your children/grandchildren to favourite activities? What are they? Do you enjoy seeing the child's experience? Tell me your thoughts! Do you even like art? Perhaps it is time you revisited a gallery or two!

1 comment:

  1. You are so fortunate to live close to this famous gallery. I haven't been there, yet, but have nothing but praise for it. It's great that you're introducing your children and grandchildren to places like this. Nana is good.

    ReplyDelete