Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, July 9, 2011

BOATING- A GREAT CANADIAN HOBBY

To live in Canada means at some point in your life you will travel in a boat, buy a boat or have good friends that let you ride in their boat. Sailing, canoeing, motor boating to name a few. If you live on an island, then a ferry boat is needed. I have taken the ferry to and from Vancouver Island several times in my life. In Toronto there is a ferry to Centre Island and another one to the Island Airport.



For some ownership of a yacht is quite prestigious. A floating home with all the perks. Any tourist place offers tours of the lake, harbour, fishing for a day. If you have a cottage, you have a boat. Camping holidays include canoes, kayaks, row boats. Much of my youth was spent in a canoe. First time I remember being in one, I was about three. I always loved the ability to float quietly on the water hoping to sneak up on some wildlife. Learnt to waterski on our family boat as a kid! Friends have a sailboat that Adolph and I were able to have a sail on a harbour near Georgian Bay. The only boat I
have had as an adult is a little dighy rubber boat I bought for the kids when we rented a cottage one summer. Served a purpose- the girls had fun with


their friends.
Most Canadians live near some water or waterway. We live near Lake Ontario to the south, Lake Simcoe to the north and the Trent-Severn waterway to the east. Of course the St. Lawrence connects the lake to eastern Canada. Travelling in Ontario brings us to one of the Great Lakes. On each coast, Canadians are connected to two oceans- the Atlantic and the Pacific! If you want to travel on the ocean, you need a big boat!



Even our motto is about water- mare usque mare- sea to sea. Do you love some water sports? Is your boat just for fishing? Do you find it pleasurable to have a boat? But remember to wear your life jacket! No matter how good a swimmer- it is a must! Remember all the rules of boating safety!








1 comment:

  1. Canoeing is a great way to travel over water. Some of my most enjoyable hours have been silently paddling around the edges of the lake where my cottage is located. Sometimes, you catch special glimpses of wildlife and unusual aquatic plants. And, sometimes, you catch fish!

    ReplyDelete