Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, July 3, 2011

A POSTCARD FROM CASSINO, ITALY

Cassino, Italy is the birthplace of my husband, Adolph ( Adolfo). He came with his family at age 9, June 29 1959 is when the landed in Canada. I have been to Cassino three times. Adolph has made more trips to visit family and to take care of the property there.
The handwritten postcards are from his mother- Mamma. After we were married in May 1971, she and my father-in-law Joe went to Cassino in August 1971 to transfer the land there to their two sons- Adolph and Tony. It was a difficult trip as Joe had ALS- Lou Gehrig's disease- which exacerbated during the trip.
Mamma wrote on one card- Cara Barbie-Abbiamo trovato tante accoglienza dai nostri parenti ma sono rimasta tanto delusa arrivederci presto. Love Mama.
To Adolph she wrote- Caro Adolfo- Spero che state bene, io non vedo l'ora di tornare con voi qui abbiamo avuto tanta accoglienza da tua zia e Pia e tutti sono stati, contenti cordialmente vi salutiamo. Mama.
Cassino is about an hour's drive from Rome- in the middle between Rome and Naples. It is famous for its Roman Bath- Teame Varroniane, Montecassino- the Monastery on the mountain, war cemeteries and some interesting Roman ruins at the base of the mountain. On my first trip there in 1991, I loved the piece of an old Roman road still exisiting. During World War Two, Cassino and the monastery was bombed to the ground and needed to be rebuilt. To have those Roman ruins saved seemed like such a miracle! Cassino Antica can been seen in one of the postcards. Adolph still has several cousins who live there. We keep in touch and throughout the years they have been very graciously hospitable to our family especially my children. Both girls have had holidays in Italy and have been so well received on several occasions. Vive Italia! Vive Cassino!
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will give you my address.
For comments, simply put your name in the profile section as I have finally changed my settings to allow this to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment