Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, May 29, 2011

NANA SAYS SHE DID SOMETHING SHE THOUGHT SHE WOULD NEVER DO

While babysitting my grandchildren last night, their behaviour and defiance was becoming a little unruly after several hours. As we all know threatening with "I'll tell your mother", yelling, and no I did not spank the children -as I really do not believe hitting teaches anything- do not work. I was really not enjoying myself. After bath time, again they were becoming just too excited and did not want a story but wanted to pile all the books to the ceiling. Well you get the picture! I saw my opportunity with a Sesame Street Game- Felt board with little characters and objects. I resorted to therapist mode and used a Play Therapy technique. I needed to gain some control of the situation and enjoy them. "Hey kids, I have an idea. " We took turns at telling a story together on the felt board with all the characters. For the second and third story the grandkiddies taking turns wanted to tell the story themselves. Calming, creative and engaging! I was able to sit back, engaged with them but able to enjoy their process. They liked it. Hugs and kisses and one child put to bed while the older one stayed up with Nana a little longer. Children can be relentless in pushing our buttons- especially if we are tired to start. As grandparents, we want to be supportive of the parents who need a break to go out as a couple. We know it is good for their marriage. The little ones are with a trusted person who loves them. Do you have moments with your children or grandchildren where the behaviour is pushing you over the top? Do you just want to enjoy them but find it is difficult? What have you tried to capture the moment lovingly and creatively? Do you have any difficult situations you want to discuss? Perhaps we can review and find some creative solutions together!

1 comment:

  1. Once in a while, babysitting the grand-kids reminds me of times when I tended my own kids. I either have a short memory or never learnt any lessons on how to deal with kids when they're occasionally being 'difficult'. Maybe, my kids or my grand-kids are relatively easy to handle because they were/are rarely that difficult to deal with. It helps to have a box of toys handy that they seldom get to play with. And, videos that they've not seen before (though those are getting hard to find!). Sometimes. putting on a video that their parents think they're not old enough for works great. Taking them to a new playground with play equipment they've not seen before works well, too. Kicking a soccer ball around also always works with Matt and Alex.

    ReplyDelete