Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, May 22, 2011

GARDENING-THAT SILENT KILLER EXERCISE

No matter how fit we think we are, gardening has a way of helping us exercise all those muscles that have been dormant for the winter. The bending, the digging, the pulling of weeds, the planting, the hauling of stuff in the wheelbarrow, the cutting and pruning all use many different areas of our bodies. In my younger years I could do a good 8 hours of gardening at a time on weekends. Coming home during the weekdays to do 2-3 hours before bedtime. Now I can go for about a 4 hour stretch before deciding it's enough. During the week maybe I putter for a good hour after work. The fresh air is always good. The birdies singing! The smell of different flowers- now it's the lilies of the valley that are fragrant. In about another week, those muscles I am feeling will be fit. As for now, I just keep working those muscle groups- no matter how painful! Do you feel the workout from your gardening experiences?

1 comment:

  1. How come the soil is always dry and hard when I want to dig or weed and always wet when I don't?

    ReplyDelete