Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, November 29, 2010

THE MODERN JUNK DEALER

In past generations, people made money collecting other people's junk and selling it. We now have garage sales and sell our own junk or treasures as the new purchaser will say. Stuff is sold on ebay by individuals and now all the dealers of any collectible use it as a site. Since I am now in the process of deciding what is an heirloom and if my children really will want it- so it's a keeper, what goes to a charity, what is a sellable collectible and what I really want to save into my old age. No time to manage an ebay account, so I have done the modern thing- hired my own salesman who does all the work and takes a small commission. Although many items were provided to him, my house still needs a good cleanse. There are also some items that will just go to the curb with my garbage. As we all know, there are still garbage pickers. Years ago, my daughter and I put out an old ping pong table with net, paddles and balls to the curb. Didn't want to be bothered with the bickering to ask a minimal amount for it. It was so much fun watching people trying to get it into their car, small van and finally a person with a pickup truck won the prize. Who has been the junk dealer in your family? How do you discard of those items that need a new home? It is hard parting with some things. Amazing what an emotional attachment there can be to small items.

2 comments:

  1. 'Getting rid of stuff' is what I call it ... it's not easy. Usually, I bag or box up stuff and take it to the local Sally Ann thrift store. For bigger things, Winnipeg has a day (or is it two days) per summer where you take 'stuff' to the curb and put a 'free' sign on it. People drive around and take away what they want. Most 'stuff' is gone in minutes in our neighborhood. I imagine some of it subsequently goes into other people's garage sales. More power to them. And, no matter how much 'stuff' you get rid of, it seems there is more waiting in the closets or basement or garage. I swear that 'stuff' breeds over the winter months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about your post a little later in the day, I thought I should ask you, what is your most treasured possession?

    ReplyDelete