Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, November 7, 2010

CANADIAN LITERATURE WORTH THE READ

The 2010 Giller Prize winner will be announced within a few days. Although I have always tried to support Canadian writers, the short list for the Giller Prize always has had interesting and varied books to read. 2008 winner, Through the Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden reflected on Northern Ontario life and culture while the 2007 winner Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay gave such insight into life in Yellowknife. We can all learn about others areas of our beloved country from the comfort of our homes. This year 2010, I have bought four of the five that were shorlisted. The Sentimentalist by Johanna Skibsrud only had 800 printed in the Maritimes by a small publisher that there has been a mad dash to have more printed by the Giller awards. The Matter with Morris by David Bergen, Light Lifting by Alexander Macleod, The Cake is for the Party by Sarah Selecky and Annabel by Kathleen Winter may be books to consider for gift giving in the next few months. Over the years the books of prolific Canadian writers such as Carol Shields, Pierre Berton, Farley Mowat, Margaret Atwood, Gabrielle Roy to name a few that have recorded a slice of Canadian culture have graced my shelves. Anne of Green Gables by Montgomery is world renown. My bookshelf includes non-fiction Canadian content as well. As a genealogist, many books are short run local history books. What books have you read? Do you include Canadian literature in your regular bookstore or library jaunts? Do you have a favourite author or topic? I do read popular best sellers and love mystery novels. But the inclusion of Canadian writers does support the literary and artistic communities. Are you doing your share?

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed reading many of these authors including Richmond Hill's Farley Mowat and, of course, Pierre Berton, from Whitehorse. I've enjoyed reading numerous biographies of little known writers who have homesteaded in almost every province of Canada, enjoying those who settled in the North the most. These days, I read mostly mysteries. I find most of the British mystery writers most interesting. But, currently, I'm reading everything I can find written by Laurie King from California.

    ReplyDelete