Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, November 26, 2010

LESS IS MORE

In our modern times when we want to do everything possible to cram as much in a day, the holiday season is always one where most of us go into overdrive. Well, stop! Decide what are the most important aspects of the season for you. Lists, planning, and writing down your thoughts help to visualize how much you are trying to do. It is easier before you start to decide what really needs to be done and eliminate some things. For example, little children find the season magical. One parade, tree decorating, making cookies should be fun activities and not chores. The visit to Santa and picture taking can be an outing and not just a filler while other errands are done. If everyone feels rushed, then the mood changes. By slowing ourselves to enjoy the activities helps to bring joy. Family obligations can be reassessed. Group functions with everyone pitching in can lessen the work on any one individual. Each year brings something new. This year for me, if I can help lessen the load on my daughter and son-in-law with the new baby, then it will happen. Another year they may help me. In my work many families can face a hospitalization during the season. There can be additional stress of how they are going to manage Christmas and hospital visits. By deciding what is important the tasks can be decreased. Less is more!! What do you do to help lessen your load? How do you make the holidays fun and festive?
Do you have suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. For get-togethers over the holidays, I make sure I bring my camera and I try to take photos of everyone attending. Later, I copy the photos to CDs and pass them out to the key people who can in turn share them with others. I also try to do some baking (cookies and my special gorp bars) and take filled containers along to give to family members. I also take time for myself, to relax, to read, to walk, to watch a video, etc.

    ReplyDelete