Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, November 24, 2010

WHAT IS OLD IS NEW AGAIN

Ideas, trends, favourite items recycle with each new generation. Just think of Trivial Pursuit, for example, the in game of the early 80's. Parties, get togethers, then the game collected dust and a new generation- now on the computer. Dolls that were popular for my children now have a new market. So is it time to recycle us. Getting older does not mean outdated. Slowing down but still can use those old ideas to solve today's problems. In my field, I see old ideas, concepts recycle with new labels and charts, graphs. Wanting to study another field, I bought a number of leading business books from the Rotman Business School at the University of Toronto. Guess What? The marketing principles, integrative thinking and team playing- all concepts I studied in my early Psychology courses and have used in counselling. Victorian architecture is prevalent in the new housing developments in my area. Not everything old is great. There are some old rock bands we would like to see retired- actually surprised they are still with us. Old is new again! What ideas have you seen go around and around in circles? What new trends do you match with the old? I blend antiques with modern items.

1 comment:

  1. Someone said quality marks the search for an ideal after necessity has been satisfied and mere usefulness achieved. Some things in our lives become 'classics' for good reason. Things that are well-made will endure long after the 'plasticky' things are discarded. The same hold true for art and music ... and good friends.

    ReplyDelete