Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, November 20, 2010

THE CANADIAN TOQUE

The Toque is a common word in Canada to name a versatile winter hat that can be crocheted or knit. It originated from the Coureurs de Bois- those early French and Metis fur traders. There can be pom poms on top or tassels and a modern version comes with braids. One colour or stripes with variety of colours can be seen. Your favourite hockey team's logo can be embossed on a toque. It keeps your head warm in the winter. Everyone has a toque or even two or three. If you are a crafty person, a toque is very easy to make. Since it is a name very unique to Canada, it is used in many sketches by comedians to make fun of Canadians. What would a good Canadian joke contain if a toque was not mentioned? Do you have a toque? Is there a joke about a toque you can share? Only in Canada, eh!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how many toques I have. But I have quite a few scattered around. I always keep one in my car so that if I ever need it while I'm out for the day, it's there. I have one I treasure, knitted for me by an elderly lady. I have a couple with Thinsulate material that always keep my head warm when I'm out for a wintry walk. And, for those few times when a toque is not enough, I dig out my beaver fur hat, complete with ear flaps. I bought it at a trappers fair years ago. Wearing that is like wearing a heater on your head.

    ReplyDelete