Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, November 10, 2010

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Is on a bumper sticker on my car. Every year for the past 19 years since the First Gulf War, I write a cheery letter for the Christmas season and send a copy to all the locations where our Armed Forces are serving. The current addresses are available on The National Defence of Canada website. There is also an email address for those who prefer to email. My reward is receiving one or two letters each year from one of those locations. I have those precious letters in my Special Binder. The cutest letter from years ago had a picture of one of our service men pointing to a Christmas decoration I had sent in a package. Since 2001, only postcards or letters- I fold mine and tape them so they can be easier to assess and sent- to any personnel are allowed. If you know someone as family then you are allowed to send a package. I am sure everything gets checked through the common address in Belleville, Ontario. I like to think my letter helps fill a wall or a string of letters and cards received and may bring some joy to those who can not be home for the holiday season- just knowing the folks back home care! Do you like this idea? Is there something you can do for our troops or those from your own country? Can we all send a collective prayer, wish for all to stay out of harm's way? Can we all hope the little children there are safe?

1 comment: