Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, November 2, 2010

CASSINO WAR MEMORIAL PART 2

The Cassino War Cemetery is in the Commune of Cassino, Province of Frosinone, Italy. There are 4265 grave markers of British Commonwealth Forces from World War Two. 855 Canadians are buried there. On the Monument with 4,054 names of individuals who do not have a grave there are 194 Canadian names. The cemetery is well kept. In the distance on the mountain is the Monte Cassino Monastery. The history of the battles in 1944 is well recorded and analysed. For me this cemetery represents a piece of Canada. Married to an Italian born Canadian- Adolph- I had always heard about the area and his hometown. When I visited this cemetery in 1991, I came away feeling that a part of Canada will always belong there. In the weeks leading up to Remembrance Day, I always ask the Veterans selling the poppies what campaign they fought. If it was the Italian campaign, I always mention my visit to Cassino. I am sure the memories of lost comrades in arms never leave them.

No comments:

Post a Comment