Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, December 9, 2021

CANADIAN CHRISTMAS IMAGES AND MEMORIES-2013 POST RESHARED

 


Writing a blog post as often as I do can be cumbersome. Having ideas and thoughts and reflections can be difficult to find new ideas.

So I am recycling some of my old posts. They were good sometimes. So as any writer knows the written word stands the test of time.

So from my December 13, 2013 post!

CANADIAN CHRISTMAS IMAGES AND MEMORIES

Christmas evokes many images and memories for all of us.

There are cultural traditions.

There are family traditions.

Many people from other parts of the world have brought their traditions than now blend with Canadian traditions.

My husband did not do much on Christmas day in Italy. Since coming to Canada in the late 1950s his Italian group have adopted to presents under the Christmas tree and other traditions that they have forgotten they were Canadian traditions in the first place!

So what memories do you have of you childhood Christmases?

For me it was the stocking filled with little goodies, a large delicious apple and an orange!!

My mother grew up during the Depression of the 1930s  so fruit was scare in the winter for her as a child.

An apple and an orange in her stocking would have been a treat so she carried on the tradition with us. Of course the Santa gift was always beside the stocking. Santa Claus was so much a part of the season.

As a regular church attender in my childhood the Christmas concert at the church. Each Sunday School class presented a part of the Christmas story. Each school would have a Christmas concert.

Although my family really does not eat plum pudding, I need to buy a small one to have in the house to have a little taste on Christmas day. My mother would add some rum to the sauce so it was very flavourful!

I started our marriage with the idea of a stocking for us. However Adolph did not grow up having a stocking so did not embrace the idea. It was not fun to give him a stocking filled with little presents but he did not reciprocate. It came with little meaning for him so as a couple we did not do the stocking thing. Actually I miss it as most adults I know still do a stocking for each other. So I have the memory anyway! No need for stocking stuffers!!

For the girls however it was very important. My mother made big stockings for them with their names on them. So it was hard to fill them with little items so I tried to find big ones to help fill the space. 

Along with little toys and things always new socks and underwear became a tradition too. The girls would say- oh socks, underwear with sarcasm.

With my house nicely decorated and the tree up, the coziness of my home brings a sense of peace and joy.

As a child I liked to sit by the Christmas tree with the lights which is something I still enjoy. Snuggle in a corner of my love seat. I can knit or crochet, read a book or quietly listen to music.

There is that seasonal bliss that comes with the Christmas season.

Even in stores well decorated trees can be admired!

Oh the memories and images- I could go on but perhaps in another post!

How about you? What images get evoked this time of year?

2013

Fast forward to December 9 2021- so what would be my current thoughts and images? Let me ponder and get back to you!

#christmasimagesandmemories#canadianchristmasimagesandmemories#2013postreshared#christmasstocking#differentcultureshavedifferenttraditions#rememberingmychildhood##christmaslightsareafavouritethingofmine#momandherrumsaucefortheplumpudding#churchconcerts#girlslovedtheirchristmasstockings#peaceofchristmasinthehome#lovingthechristmasseason#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro


No comments:

Post a Comment