Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, June 24, 2013

HELPING IN A CRISIS

As we watch the flood cleanup in Alberta, we are reminded how vulnerable we all can be. During any time of crisis, there are so many that want to help. Seeing our Armed Forces lending support and manpower as well as unaffected neighbours and friends reassures that people do care. However, be careful not to say insensitive things. One woman on TV returning to her home was told " it was just Stuff!". She reminded us "it's my stuff and I just want to go home!" She said " we wanted hard for that stuff!" Yes people are glad to be alive and be able to go on. But stuff destroyed in any tragedy belongs to someone. We all have emotional attachments to stuff and in particular our homes! The best help we can give is a monetary donation to our favourite relief charity. Over the years I have just donated to the Canadian Red Cross. In other flood situations in Manitoba and now Alberta it is an organization that is on the ground. There will be volunteers heading out from Ontario to help with cleanup too from many organizations as well as other service providers. I know our Ontario Hydro has reciprocal agreements with the States and other provinces to help in a crisis so not sure if some will be heading west. So as we find out more about what they need then help can be given. No one and no where is free from any of the stories making the press today! I know I am in tornado country! Our thoughts and prayers go out to those in the west as well as other parts of the world suffering today.

1 comment:

  1. I wondered why somebody didn't do something. Then I realized, I am somebody ... Author Unknown

    ReplyDelete